Monday, May 9, 2011

Emerging from the Craft Room

I got a wild hair last week to redecorate/paint my craft room. We were set to do a whole makeover with cabinetry and all. Have you priced cupboards and countertops lately??? OH MY! For the space we were wanting to put in cupboards, I figured we’d spend around $500.00, but hopefully less. Little did I know! We chose the cheapest cabinets and by far the cheapest countertop and still ended up with a bill of $750.00 for a 54” space. CRAZY! It consisted of 4 total cabinets.

After a humbling trip to Menards we decided to just forget the cabinets. Instead I decided to paint and just buy a white table to put up. I also decided to do a chalkboard wall, which Joel wasn’t exactly pleased with the idea of. As much as I said it wouldn’t happen, my children have managed to write on almost EVERY single wall in my house. No matter how many coloring books they have (believe me there are probably 10 for each kid!), they’ve managed to get a wall. I decided why not let them have a wall in the house they can color on and NOT get in trouble?! Plus I figured if I inform them this is the ONLY wall they can color on, and if I catch them writing on any other walls they’ll be in trouble. It could work……

So I spent most of the day painting on Saturday. I’m pleased overall so far. We left one wall white after getting three of the walls painted. Of course it’s going to need a fresh coat of white paint because it’s a wall the kids have managed to mark up. Watch for pictures to come soon. That is if I ever make it back upstairs to blog again. Someone want to come organize for me?

4 comments:

  1. Cabinets are insanely over-priced and really aren't made to last. Do they even use real wood anymore? I want our kitchen built more that anything (we have a temporary one), but it's going to be at least $20,000 (floor to ceiling). I'll probably move before it ever gets built!! At least you painted... that's progress and it has to make you feel better. Hope you had a great Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously...where did my comment go? Anyhow, I was rambling about how much cabinets are over-priced and I don't even think they make them of real wood anymore. I have a temporary kitchen and I don't think we'll ever be able to afford to build a nice one. At least you painted... I bet that made you feel better. Hope you had a great Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i wish i had the energy to paint. i know my cousin wants to help me paint but i don't know what color i want. plus she is good and organizing. she LOVES it! i will send her your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cabinets are crazy. Have you tried to look on like Craigslist? Sometimes people put cabinets up there. Glad you are painting your room though. Very fun!

    ReplyDelete