Saturday, August 18, 2012

Sweet Corn Season

 Living in Nebraska we have a lot of corn that grows around us. The silly thing is though not much of it is edible straight off the stalk. The last few years we have known a local grower of sweet (edible) corn and have been fortunate enough to get enough corn to freeze for our family. This year the grower we usually get it from, didn't plant much and what little he did plant has dried up with the drought. I didn't think we were going to have enough corn to eat a few meals let alone freeze. I'd decided we would just buy frozen in the store, and not eat it as often.  

Thankfully my dad was talking to a woman he works with and they had 4 whole rows they were just going to "feed to the squirrels" if we didn't come get it! I jumped at the chance, and headed out with the kids to pick corn! We ended up with 5 big tubs, and 2 coolers full.

 Dad was also awesome enough to let us have it all because they had some left over from last year. I about cried at the thought of shucking it all myself with the kids. Dad stepped up again though and offered to help! I was so thankful!!



Addysen just hung out while we worked on shucking corn!! 


The biggest game came when grandpa was cutting off the excess. He would get the kids with the corn, and they would move. Finally it got to the point where they were done and complaining so dad moved over. Goofy kids followed along with him and still let him get them. 
Dad's dog Baxter was all about helping, and babysitting.


My grandpa even stopped by to say hello and get some fresh sweet corn. My grandma passed away just a week prior so he brought us over some of the cards to read from friends and family as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment