Monday, November 4, 2013

Our First Broken Bone

Almost 3 weeks ago now, we had our first case of a broken bone. Was it an arm? Maybe a Leg? Nope I answer. A finger. Yes a finger.

It was a rainy day, and so thankfully Joel was home for the day shortly after lunch. I was in a baking mood so I had made a nice meal for supper, and had 2 deserts prepared for supper with another that was to be finished up after supper.

Super was a great meal where we all got to sit down together, and enjoy the food instead of someone missing. With harvest having started the week prior, it was getting rare to see Joel at the dinner table. After supper we told the kids to go get their pajamas on and brush their teeth. Something that is done on a nightly basis while I clean up the table and start the dishwasher.

After getting the table cleaned up, Joel and I started working on the last desert, peanut butter cup cookies. I'd been craving them for a week or more, and so it was time they got made. We made a pretty good team. I was scooping and rolling balls, he was rolling them in sugar and putting them in the mini muffin pans.

Before we both have any idea what is going on, there comes screaming from upstairs. That blood curdling scream that you just KNOW something is wrong. Just as quick as it started you hear even more screaming coming from Dahrran. He comes down holding a screaming Kaitlynn who is holding her hand.

Instantly I KNEW something wasn't right as it was black and purple instantly. There wasn't much blood, but something in my gut told me we needed to take her in. Within 5 minutes we were in the car and headed to the ER. It wasn't until the drive in that I got the full story of what happened.



Apparently Dahrran was trying to use the restroom when the girls kept opening the door. He had asked nicely and finally just slammed the door when he had had enough. Kaitlynn's hand just happened to be in the way when he slammed it.

The pictures don't even really do it justice. It doesn't look nearly as yucky as it really was. She was lucky enough that there was enough skin in the middle that it didn't require stitches. The doctor made us promise to keep it covered in Neosporin to help with healing. She also decided to do an X-Ray just to be sure.


She was such a good patient and did end up with a break. So it's been finger casts and band-aids for the last 3 weeks. Hopefully we will find out good news this afternoon and we can kick the finger cast to the curb!!