Monday, November 2, 2009

Picking Pumpkins

I didn’t take my kids to a Pumpkin Patch this year. Oh, who am I kidding, I haven’t ever taken my kids to a Pumpkin Patch. Don’t get me wrong I’d love to take them, but the cost keeps me away. I’d love to take them, but I know they’d want to pick out a big pumpkin, and I’m sure it would cost an arm and a leg. Not to mention the cost to get in, and the cost to do this and that!

Another factor that keeps us away is the drive. It’d take us an hour or more to get to any Pumpkin Patch around here. So we improvise, we usually just head to our local Landscaping store to pick out a pumpkin or two, or even grow our own. The last few years we’ve been fortunate enough to have grandpa (my dad) grow pumpkins.

This year though, Great Grandpa had some pumpkins. Grandpa didn’t plant a garden, and neither did Great Grandpa. One day when Great Grandpa (my grandpa) was mowing the lawn he came across a pumpkin plant. He went ahead and let it grow and just mowed around it all summer.

When Grandpa called and asked if we wanted to come out and pick them, we agreed! Of course by the time we got there it was almost dark, and I don’t play with my camera enough to figure out how to work it right at dusk. (If you have tips on using a DSLR at dusk please email me!!!!)

DSC08819 
Dahrran & MacKenzie searching through the weeds to find them!

DSC08810

DSC08822

Grandpa had his lawnmower cart and so he brought it over so we could put all the pumpkins in it.

DSC08832      The girls showing off their pumpkins. Grandpa was great, picked himself a few out, and then sent the rest home with us!DSC08855

2 comments:

  1. I think the trip to Grandpa's was way better than any pumpkin patch that costs an arm and a leg. The smiles say it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog and your pics are great to.

    ReplyDelete