Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Word FULL Wednesday – A Recipe

The kids always love Pancakes, but we usually don’t have pancake mix in the house. For the longest time I would buy the premade mix and keep it in the house. It seemed like we never went through it, and it was always getting buggy before I used it all!

That was before I started making my own pancake batter/mix. I know what you’re all thinking, make your own when it’s so cheap!?! But really you probably have EVERYTHING you need to make your own pancake mix in your cupboards right now. If you make cookies from scratch you’ve got it all!!!

Buttermilk Pancakes
1 cup all-purpose or whole wheat flour
1 Tablespoon Sugar
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 beaten egg
1 cup Buttermilk or Sour Milk*
2 Tablespoons cooking oil

1. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; set aside. Combine the egg, butter-milk and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to the flour mixture. Stir until just moistened (batter should be lumpy). If you’d prefer a runnier mix add more buttermilk.

*Note: Make sour milk using regular milk. For each cup of sour milk needed add 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup, add enough milk to make 1 cup total liquid. Let mixture stand for 5 minutes then use.

We usually make a triple batch for our family, with few leftovers. The kids also are always looking for a fun way to “play” with their food! After making Rainbow Cake a while back we’ve been looking for other fun ways to make Rainbows!

Mix up your batter as directed & divide into bowls. Mix colors wanted.

DSC09446

Put batter on pre-heated griddle iron as you would like. We did actual rainbows. These made big pancakes.

DSC09447DSC09453 

Take pictures of your ADORABLE kids while you wait!

DSC09449DSC09448

Admire finished product, then devour!! The kids just love them, and now they are begging to make more!

 DSC09460

9 comments:

  1. Those look GREAT! I'll have to try that some time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did the kids eat them? We made the cool whip pink in the fruit salad at Christmas and then no one would eat it!

    Looks like you're having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. those look so cool. will you make some for me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi! sorry it took me so long to get over here and say hello. we eat pancakes all the time, make them into shapes. can't beleive i never thought of coloring them! what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a GREAT idea! I might have to steal that one to use on my kids ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My niece and nephew love to do this with my mom. My son has a milk allergy so unless they make a special batch for him with Bisquick and rice milk, he doesn't get any. My niece's favorite is to see how many different shades of pink she can make!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are so cute!! I'm definitely going to have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, how fun! I love the colors. ..and a tip for those who don't have buttermilk handy. Get a package of buttermilk powder (kinda like reg milk powder) to keep in your pantry. You just add water to it. It adds the flavor without the hassle!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made these this morning & the girls loved them! Just wanted to share! :o)

    ReplyDelete