Friday, January 8, 2010

Baby it’s Cold Outside

I know, I know. It’s cold every where right now. But honestly it’s super cold here. Never this cold, super cold! To prove my point…..We live in Nebraska. Smack Dab in the middle of this good ole map.

Current Colds

I Live about where it says oh, say, –10. Yes people this is actual air temp right now. I know why am I complaining? There are places that are WAY colder than that with actual air temps.  But you haven’t seen this map yet? Have ya?!?

Wind Chill

See that, –24 there on the map. That’s what it feels like outside! YUCK. I know, I know. There are a few more places that feel colder. But people, it’s NEVER this cold in Nebraska! NEVER!!!! Okay so it is, but maybe only on the ONE rare occasion, and it doesn’t happen again for a few weeks/months/years. Here lately it’s been just plain cold all the time. For the last month it’s been cold.

We’ve had snow, lots of it. About a foot every 2 weeks for the last 6 weeks! And in all actuality it’s been too cold for them to play outside, comfortably. Unless they BEG A LOT, they don’t get to go outside. Dahrran got mad at me, before they headed back to school this weak from break, because they hadn’t been able to play in the snow at home!!! Such a mean mom I am! Unless they’re at grandpa’s house.

DSC08618

Cause you see Grandpa has THIS. HUGE. SNOW. PILE! And well after this week’s snow, I’m not sure where he’ll go with the rest. Cause this snow pile is at it’s full potential…and then some!
 DSC08619

So when it’s cold outside what do we do?? You may remember this? But when it’s cold outside, I’d rather settle up with a nice bowl of soup. Potato Soup to be exact. . . Have I made it in this cold spell….no :( I haven’t bought the ingredients. Actually I haven’t been going out to the store much with the cold.  Anyway I’m rambling. So here’s the recipe!

SUPER delish Baked Potato Soup
*1 medium Onion
*1lb bacon
*2TBS Butter
*2TBS Flour
*2 cups Chicken Stock
*1 quart Half/Half
*6-8 med. potatoes

Cut up Onion & bacon into small pieces to your liking. Fry bacon until crispy but not too crisp. Remove some for garnish if you choose (I don’t). Do not drain grease from bacon, it adds to the flavor. Add butter and add onion. Sauté onions until soft. Stir in Flour to thicken. Mainly you’re just using the flour to soak up the grease.

Stir in chicken stock, making sure there are no lumps from the flour. Add half & half. You can use milk instead, but it doesn’t thicken as well, and makes for a runnier soup. Bring to a boil. Peel & dice potatoes to your liking. DH likes smaller pieces, I prefer larger pieces. When boiling add potatoes, and salt & pepper to taste.

When potatoes are cooked and tender enough to put a fork in, your soup is done.

Serve with crackers of your choice, and top with bacon, cheese, and green onions.

*You can also make this with left over baked potatoes, but DH and I prefer this way. Seems too mushy.

4 comments:

  1. Yay! You got your recipe on here for this week! Sounds yummy! I don't blame you for not heading out to get anything. It's 56 degrees here today and the kids have been enjoying the outside. We only had a few weeks where it was cold (like in the 30's in the daytime). It's usually in the 20's at night but we don't go out in the middle of the night! Keep warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's crazy how at -10 my kids go snowboarding, but it areas where people aren't used to it things shut down. We have -15 not and heading for -30, but we are prepared for that all the time so it really isn't a big deal. I hope the rest of country warms up soon. Some are having such a tough time. Send it to Alaska..we can handle it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog from Amanda's (Popping out on letter...") I'm from NE Kansas, although I'm living in Germany right now, but know how so cold the mid-west winters can be!!

    Off to get know you more!

    God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yumm!! That soup sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete