Friday, February 26, 2010

So you’re just starting out….

When I was pregnant my mom told me about how her neighbor’s daughter was planning to cloth diaper her new baby, who was due just a few short weeks after us. I told my mom she must be crazy, and good luck to her. My mom informed me that these were the cutest little diapers and they used snaps and were waterproof. I still told my mom, well I hope she likes it, but it’s not for us!

After looking into the diapers she was planning on using and thought they were super cute, but really the poop factor just wasn’t wining me over anytime soon. Fast forward 6 months and here I was with a sweet little 6 month old, and a pocket book that is being crunched. I start looking even more. When my BFF decided she was going to buy a couple cloth diapers to try out. Being the follower that I am, I figured aw heck, why not! And to top it off, the store where I ordered them offered a 30 day money back guarantee. I figured if I didn’t like them I could get my money back no matter what!

After using them for a week, and getting so tired of not really getting the feel for them by only using two and then having to wash I decided to buy a whole starter pack. Still with the thinking if we don’t like them we can send them back. I’ve never looked back. Once I started using them full time, I didn’t even think about sending them back!

imageimageDSC07522

See Kaitlynn’s little fluffy bum. The last picture you can barely see it, but it’s there!

Looking back there are a lot of things I wish I’d done differently. So here’s a few pointers to you mom’s out there who are “newbies” to the whole Cloth Diapering experience!

*Don’t buy all the same brand of diapers when you start*
Just buy a couple. You may LOVE one brand now, but in two months when you find something new you’ll LOVE it too! Trust me on this one. Slowly build up your stash! One or two diapers at a time!

*Try different types of diapers to see what you like*
We’ve been an only pocket diaper family for 2 years now. That is until I found fitted love! I now prefer the fitteds at home and pockets for the road. I wish I’d branched out more to try all types of diapers! Because now if we get pregnant again, I’m not going to know which diapers to start with! :(

*Get in a wash routine from the start*
Even if you only have 5 diapers, get in a routine you like and stick with it. Yes you can have slack days here and there, but be sure to stay on top of it. It will cause you less headaches in the future. We were horrible about having a routine. I at one time had upwards of 20 diapers and thought it was okay to go through them all before washing! BIG mistake! We ended up with smell issues so bad where I was ready to quit diapering. Thankfully they were save-able with a little hard work on my part to get them back in tip top shape! We’re now on a STRICT (well okay sometimes I still miss a day, but not a week like before) routine of washing diapers every other day. No stink issues at all!

*Spend the extra money to buy “cloth diaper” detergent*
At first you’ll think, I can get by with just using less detergent of our current. But believe me don’t do that! Also don’t go to your local supermarket and buy one that is on the “list” of “safe” detergents! These so called “safe” detergents can leave soap in your diapers, thus adding to your buildup issues! If I can recommend one detergent…it’s Rockin Green!

*Buy snap diapers over aplix*
At first you may think that Velcro (known as aplix) diapers are easier. (I did) But in the long run if you feel you’ll be diapering more than one child or longer than a year it’s best to go with snaps. Velcro diapers have a tendency over time to curl and not stick. Leading to diapers that come undone which leads to even more messes! AND snap diapers are harder for little ones to get undone when they learn to strip off their clothes!

*Buy Local if possible*
If you’re the type of person who loves to play with things before buying, this is your best option. Not only will you get the support of a local mom/dad who is doing it in their house, but you’ll get all your questions answered at any time! You’ll grow a great bond with these people, and maybe even become best friends! Not to mention you’re supporting your local economy and Work-at-Home parents!

Last but not least……

*Don’t be afraid!*
Cloth diapering is easy peasy, lemon squeezie!

(I was not paid to advertise in any form, this is just my honest opinion!)

7 comments:

  1. perfect list!!

    i have a huge range of diapers for this baby coming in july. prefolds, fitteds, pockets and aio's because i have no idea how to cloth diaper a newborn!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post and so true! I love my pockets (have 24 BG's alone) but now that I've been introduced to fitteds & wool covers, I have a new love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was extremely skeptical of wool, I wish I had gone ahead and tried it earlier because the wool and fleece covers have saved us from so much diaper rash problems on my daughter it's unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be cloth diapering for the first time with this baby (my 4th!). I am a bit nervous, but excited too. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was never brave enough to try cloth diapering. When we were little my mom used a diapering service- I remember the truck coming to pick up the diapers when my brother was a baby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not cloth diapering right now. I did for a few years and just needed a break. I agree with your list though! Although, I fell in love with Planet detergent. :)

    Oh, and I loooove prefolds. ha!

    Thanks for linking up with Saturday Sound Off!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tips. There are so many great brands now!

    ReplyDelete